Why is it so easy to fall into bad habits? Why are good habits so hard to establish? It is a frustrating issue, especially when you realize that the bad habits you have are keeping you from a healthy, happy life. Some bad habits may also have deep-seated reasons behind them that have to be rooted out and dealt with. Is there a way to form good habits while tamping down the bad ones?
What are your habits?
You probably don’t even think about it, but many of the things you do throughout the day you do out of habit, whether good or bad – from putting on a seatbelt when you get into the car to biting your nails when you are nervous. If you have decided that you want to break a habit, here are some things you should keep in mind:
• Don’t try to change too many habits at once, which can lead to feelings of being overwhelmed and anxious.
• Help yourself by staying away from habit “triggers.” If you are trying to stop eating fast food, don’t tempt yourself by going to a fast food restaurant for lunch with your coworkers.
• Be patient with yourself. Studies show that it can take anywhere from 18 days to over a year to develop healthy habits in the place of unhealthy ones. Don’t give up just because it feels like it is taking forever.
• Give yourself credit for the little things. It can be next to impossible to make a drastic change in habit overnight. You have to take it step by step, day by day, and not be too hard on yourself because you haven’t broken old habits in just a few days; instead, congratulate yourself on the progress you have made.
• You always have a choice to indulge in the habit or not. It may not feel like it sometimes, but it’s true, and just knowing this can help.
Bad habits can be sneaky – they can damage your health and happiness without you even realizing it. The staff at Wasatch Crest Treatment in Heber, Utah, wants to make sure you have every opportunity for happiness! Call (800) 385-3507 today.