The idea of getting sober can be daunting. It can seem overwhelming- even scary with all the unknown that comes from beginning that process. And it will be an on-going process. However, the process of getting sober and living sober has many benefits.
Here are 5 Benefits of Sobriety to Inspire You
- Getting Active Again- When we are under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol, it restricts our ability to engage in recreational activities that we find fun. The obsession that can come with addiction, prevents us from thinking about much else besides the next opportunity to get high or drunk. In sobriety, we have the opportunity to get active again! To re-engage in activities- both individual and community based- that we enjoy. Aside from the physical benefits of exercise, there are mental and emotional benefits of getting active: better sleep, increase in mood and the overall sense of accomplishment that comes from getting a little sweaty.
- Rebuilding Meaningful Relationships- Addiction or substance abuse does not only affect the person using the substance. It affects their family, their friends, their coworkers and other important people in their life. Our loved ones don’t always know how to support us during this time, and quite frankly we are not the most fun to be around when we are acting out in our addiction. Sobriety offers us the opportunity to re-connect, rebuild and rediscover relationships with loved ones. We have the opportunity to show up- both physically and emotionally for our friends and family again.
- Feeling all the Feels- A lot of the time we can start using substances to “numb” certain uncomfortable feelings. What we don’t realize at the time is that we are numbing the comfortable ones too! Another benefit of sobriety is the ability to feel happiness, calmness, joy, pleasure, excitement- these come with their counter feelings also- but we get to feel all the feels!
- Connected with Community- Sobriety provides us the chance to connect- really connect to like-minded people who have shared similar experiences. Through building a sober community- whether it be a 12-step program, a harm reduction program, a church group or simply a group of friends- you can build a support system. Addiction can be isolating- sobriety can build community and connection.
- Experiencing the Present- Substances take us out of the present moment. We get lost in the past or the future or the high- the weightless feeling of being under the influence. But what we miss is the present moment. Through a mindfulness practice in your sobriety, you can be present- really present- for all life has to offer you. The now is all we have- let’s spend as much time savoring it as we can.
If you or a loved one are interested in giving the benefits of sobriety a try, please give us a call. We are here to help.