The new year is off and running – how has it been for you so far? Are you already overwhelmed? Have you already given up on those New Year’s resolutions? If the challenges of the new year already seem like too much to handle, you may want to shift your focus to something that could help with all areas of your life: mindfulness.
What Is Mindfulness?
Mindfulness is simply the practice of living in the here and now, without worrying about the future and without thinking about the past. It may seem simple on the surface, but anyone who has tried it will tell you it can be anything but. Our overactive brains seem determined to keep us thinking about anything but enjoying the moment. However, while it does take some effort, practicing mindfulness will help you to enjoy life more, and it can also teach your brain the skills it needs to get you through the more difficult times in life. It is free, gets easier the more you do it, and it doesn’t take a lot of time.
In fact, there are some simple ways to practice mindfulness as you go through your day:
- Listen to your favorite song. Really listen – notice how the different instruments contribute to the song, how the singer uses his or her voice, and how it all makes you feel.
- Notice the weather. When you go outside, take note of how good the sun feels on your face or the slight breeze on your cheek.
- Wear a special piece of jewelry. And each time you look at it, make an effort to slow down and take one deep breath.
- Buy a scented product. This can be a candle, perfume, or air freshener – get a scent you adore, and make sure to note that lovely smell a few times a day.
- Hug someone you love. Note the warmth and comfort of having a loved one’s arms wrapped around you.
Although it may not be easy at first, practicing mindfulness has so many benefits. If you are interested in what mindfulness can do for you, contact Wasatch Crest in Heber, Utah. Call (800) 385-3507 today.