We’ve all been there – you fight your demons and finally see what it means to be happy (is this what you’ve been missing out on all of these years?), and then suddenly, out of the blue, it’s back. Depression, anxiety, doubt, worry – they can all come rushing back until you feel like you haven’t made any progress at all. Your mindfulness training, all of the therapy you’ve been through – nothing seems to be helping. But don’t give up!
Fighting a depression relapse
The next time you suddenly feel like you are back where you started, try these tips:
- Realize that each time you have fought against depression and won, you have learned valuable skills to help you deal with it. Go back to the things that helped you fight it and win in the past.
- Do some journaling. This is where journaling every day can make a difference – but don’t just have a writing session when you are having a hard time. Journal during the good times as well – write down the great things that happen and all the little things you are grateful for so you have something to look back on when things aren’t so great.
- Honor yourself for the progress you’ve made. Think about how far you’ve come, because it’s not easy! Give yourself credit for how tough you are, and how you are only getting tougher.
- Don’t be afraid to get help. Just talking to a friend or a counselor can help put things in perspective and can get you back on the right track.
- Don’t be too hard on yourself for being depressed again. Don’t beat yourself up for “failing” at happiness, because you haven’t failed at anything. Everyone has their ups and downs.
You may never be entirely free of feelings of depression and anxiety, but all is not lost. Take a deep breath and realize that it is only temporary, and you do have what it takes to get past it. And, if you need a bit of extra help finding happiness, you can count on Wasatch Crest Treatment. Call Wasatch Crest in Heber, Utah, at (800) 385-3507.